Indulgence Is Still In: Why Higher Calorie/Sugar/Fat Options Aren't Going Anywhere
by Callum Allan on Apr 20, 2023
With the rise of fitness, health consciousness is everywhere we turn, from workout clothes to protein powders. But with nutrition and health in the forefront, you might be wondering, what is going to happen to all the higher calorie/sugar/fat options? Will they be erased from menus forever? Let me reassure you, these options will still be around for a long long time! And that's because indulgence is a key food trend too!
1) Sometimes you just need a break from your routine: A piece of chocolate cake or a slice of pizza is not going to ruin your week of healthy eating habits. You deserve to enjoy these foods from time to time. After all, what is life without those little indulgences? Also, making these indulgences a part of your lifestyle once in a while will help you maintain and stay committed to healthy eating overall.
2) Chefs love to experiment with new flavours and ingredients: Chefs around the world love to create new dishes that break the conventions of “healthy eating”. They experiment with traditional recipes and add a touch of decadence to them, which can make them even more delicious. These indulgent dishes are like works of art that awaken your senses and make you feel good. Plus, they are a great way to surprise and please your guests.
3) Special occasions call for special foods: Celebrations like birthdays, weddings, and anniversaries call for indulgent meals. These occasions are a time to let go, have fun and just enjoy life. Imagine how dull it would be if everyone had to eat the same foods every day. These special events are a chance to indulge guilt-free, as long as you balance it out with healthy habits in your daily routine.
4) Traveling is all about trying new things: When you’re travelling, you want to try different foods and explore new cultures. You can’t go to New York and not taste a slice of their iconic pizza. When you’re in Rome, you have to indulge in a bowl of pasta. Food is an integral part of any travel experience, and indulging in different foods from around the world is part of the fun. So, when you’re planning your next trip, make sure you include some indulgent meals on your itinerary.
5) Moderation is always key: Moderation is the key to enjoying indulgent foods without sabotaging your health goals. You don’t have to completely cut out higher calorie/sugar/fat options. You can still indulge in your favourite treats and not feel guilty about it. The key is to make sure you’re not overindulging or making it a part of your daily routine. Making healthy choices most of the time and enjoying indulgent ones occasionally is the perfect balance.
As you can see, indulgence is not going anywhere soon. And with good reason! It's important to indulge every once in a while to help maintain a healthy eating pattern, offer new flavours and ingredients, celebrate special occasions, explore new cultures, and, above all, enjoy life. So, don’t be afraid to indulge in those higher calorie/sugar/fat options occasionally. Remember, the key is always moderation. Happy indulging!