The Paleo Diet – Is It for You?
by Callum Allan on Oct 28, 2022
Do you like the idea of gorging on mammoth steaks, fending off sabre-toothed tigers, and then taking a nice long nap in your cave? No? Well, then the Paleo diet probably isn’t for you. But if you’re interested in modern-day interpretations of our ancestors’ diets, read on.
What is the Paleo Diet?
The premise of the Paleo diet is that we should eat like our hunter-gatherer ancestors did – which supposedly means fewer health problems and obesity. The diet focuses on “foods that can be hunted or fished (meats, seafood, poultry) and gathered (eggs, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables).” So no grains, legumes (including peanuts), dairy, refined sugar or salt, processed oils, or alcohol – basically anything that couldn’t be found in nature back in the day.
What are the Pros and Cons of the Paleo Diet?
As with any diet, there are pros and cons to the Paleo way of eating.
1. Helps with weight loss because it cuts out empty calories
2. Promotes eating more nutrient-rich whole foods
3. Can help reduce inflammation
4. May improve cholesterol levels
1. Eliminating entire food groups can lead to nutrient deficiencies
2. Can be expensive if you’re buying organic meat and produce all the time
3. May be hard to stick to long-term because it requires cooking all your meals from scratch
4. You might miss your favourite carbs (we feel ya)
5. There isn't a lot of scientific research to support its claims
So…is the paleo diet for you? Only you can answer that question! If you think you can handle saying goodbye to bread, rice, pasta, and legumes forever (or at least for a really long time), give it a shot. Just make sure to do your research first and talk to your doctor before making any big changes to your diet – regardless of what eating plan you choose.